Real Estate Consulting
While we think it’s almost always a good idea to have a qualified agent on your side, the general issue is that most all the available help in the community is from real estate agents, brokers, and others whose fee is based on a transaction occurring. We think that this can create a conflict of interest in spite of the best intentions of those involved. Most residential agents charge 5% to 6% of the selling price, and most commercial agents charge 2.5 to 5%. We are not competing with them or their fee structure and actually prefer to work with a good agent, but just pointing out that they get paid when something happens, and sometimes it could turn out to be best to not make the purchase or sale without an independent opinion.
There are many issues in the real estate arena that don’t involve a purchase or a sale, and we can help with some of them too. All of these answers depend on the price, the expected cash flow, and other specialized knowledge such as costs to fix up a property or develop it. This also depends on the market knowledge and input of any real estate or other professional you have retained. We’re here to deal with the numbers and provide an independent point of view.
What we can help with:
- Should you rent or buy an office/commercial building?
- Is it better to build or buy an existing building?
- Is a specific rental house, apartment or commercial building a decent purchase given the cost of the investment and expected cash flow? Or on the other side, should you consider selling and move on? Don’t forget the age and condition, the long term prognosis is that all buildings will turn into sawdust or rubble at some date.
- Does it make sense to convert a house you’re moving out of to a rental?
- Does it make sense to short plat and/or develop land, or should I sell outright to a builder? Are there any options for both tax and financial purposes?
- Tax issues to consider, especially if the property is in Oregon or another state with income tax.
- What is the best tax structure to hold the real estate in?
- Foreign investors who wish to acquire US real estate.’
What we can’t help you with (due to restricted licensing):
- Help list and sell a property.
- Inspect for property or title defects.
- Draw up legal agreements such as leases (the practice of law).
- Guess the future price of the property.
We do not accept real estate commissions or referral fees, nor are we licensed to do so. We also avoid other potential conflicts of interest, such as being involved in advising on a property that involves another client without full disclosure in advance.
It used to be that climate was the biggest factor when choosing a place for your retirement. Not anymore. Nowadays, there are more important factors in the minds of future retirees, such as affordable housing and low cost of living. But for many these days, fitting...
If your mutual fund strategy emphasizes growth more than income, you’ll want to find ways to ease your tax burden. This way, you’ll save a bundle as you watch your fund increase in value. Here are some ways to do this: 1. Avoid the temptation of a lump sum...
There are 15 million self-employed Americans. If you’re one of them, there are some tax considerations you need to consider. But first, you have to make sure all your records are up to date. Record keeping is particularly important when you’re self-employed. This is...
“Through a tough and complicated estate closure involving a business with thousands of customers, high back taxes, multiple checking accounts and subpoenas and bankruptcy, we were incredibly thankful and lucky to have Mike Day at HB Morris help us.”
“I’ve used HB Morris for a few years for my personal taxes, and she also assists with our non-profit arts organization. She is reliable and easy to work with!”
“HB is amazing! They have saved me and my company a lot of money, and stress. They take care of everything in a timely and effective manor. They have always been there to help me with all my question’s. Honestly I feel secure in knowing HB has my back. Love ya HB ”